Director of Finance/Controller
The International Institute of Buffalo (IIB) is a highly regarded nonprofit organization that provides direct social services to refugees, immigrants and survivors of domestic violence and human trafficking. IIB also operates a fee-for-service Interpreting & Translation program that is focused on increasing language access. IIB’s mission is to make Western New York a better place for, and because of, refugees and immigrants.
We are seeking an experienced accounting controller to join our leadership team as the Director of Finance/Controller who will oversee our financial operations. This role also has primary responsibility over developing, improving and maintaining systems and processes that support the fiscal health of the organization.
The Director of Finance/Controller will report directly to the Executive Director and will oversee 3 direct reports and an overall team of 10 staffers.
The Director of Finance/Controller will have responsibility for cash flow management and will work to ensure a smooth financial operation. The Director will work to enhance internal systems to optimize productivity and minimize risk. This position requires proven leadership and experience in accounting with a focus in federal and/or state grants, forecasting, modeling sensitivity scenarios, variance analysis, and working knowledge of financial ERP software, as well as excellent communication skills and the ability to work effectively with a variety of internal and external stakeholders.
This is an important role to take on at an exciting time for a century-old organization that is going through a significant growth period. The Institute’s approved operating budget for FY2023 is $7 million.
· Leadership: Serve as the finance lead and oversee all fiduciary responsibilities, including serving as a point of contact for all federal, state and county funders, and supervise a team of accounting and grant reporting managers
· Planning: Collaborate with the Executive Director, Board of Directors, and senior staff to develop short- and long-term finance and organizational strategies.
· Reporting: Ensure monthly and quarterly financial activities outlined in the proscribed operating schedule are performed accurately and timely
· Budgeting: Lead, design, and manage the annual budget development process. Ensure monthly and quarterly financial activities outlined in the operating schedule are performed accurately and timely. Collaborate closely with the relevant department directors around grant and donor projections and financial record keeping
· Financial Analysis: Provide financial insight and support to colleagues for grants management, fundraising and donor reporting
· Risk Management: Develop and implement policies and procedures to provide internal controls and protect organizational assets
· Accounting: Oversee the collection, recording, processing, and reporting of all financial transactions, including accounts payable, accounts receivable, payroll and related taxes, general ledger, and fixed assets – nonprofit accounting preferred but not required
· Financial Statement Preparation: Develop financial statements for leadership and board review to convey financial accomplishments
· Grant Reporting: Oversee the grant administration director and grant reporting team to ensure timely reporting, planning for cash flow management, and compliance with other government regulatory requirements to ensure prompt payment.
· Payroll: Oversee the preparation, submission and funding of bi-weekly payroll; preparation and submission of employee pension and 403B remittance
· Audit: Manage the annual financial audit process, including liaising with external auditors and the finance/audit committee of the board of directors
· Compliance: Ensure compliance with all state and federal legal requirements governing non-profit organizations, including tax, legal, and regulatory requirements
EXPERIENCE & EDUCATION:
· Minimum five years’ work experience in finance and accounting
· Minimum two years leading the finance function at an organization or serving in a controller type of role
· Bachelor’s degree required in finance, accounting or business; MBA/Master’s Degree strongly preferred/not required
· Previous experience supervising teams with direct reports
· Strong verbal and written communication skills, and ability to prepare and clearly present financial information to the IIB Board of Directors, non-financial and financial audiences.
· Knowledge of appropriate recording of restricted and unrestricted funds in nonprofit financial management
· Knowledge of accounting practices and operations preferred, including current working knowledge of General Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP), 501(c)(3) provisions and the upcoming FASB changes to financial reporting impacting nonprofits
· Strong Skills with: Windows, Excel, QuickBooks Nonprofit Desktop Edition, and Blackbaud Finance Edge
WHAT WE’RE ALSO LOOKING FOR:
· Excitement about the mission of IIB
· Ability to anticipate and establish appropriate internal controls in all areas, emphasizing accounting, finance, operations, and software applications security
· Familiarity with audit, compliance and internal control issues and best practices in risk management and insurance
· Ability to prioritize, negotiate, and work with a variety of internal and external stakeholders.
· Strategic and tenacious in achieving objectives; demonstrated ability to handle multiple projects simultaneously with excellent follow through and attention to detail
· Ability to function in a collaborative and collegial environment, sensitivity to others, high degree of integrity, and excellent judgment
The International Institute of Buffalo provides highly competitive base compensation as well as a comprehensive benefits package, including, medical, dental and life insurance, paid time off and an employer matching 403(b) retirement plan.
HOW TO APPLY
We encourage expressions of interest as early as possible. For immediate consideration, please e-mail your cover letter and resume, along with salary requirements to:
Brooke Felgemacher, Robert Half Recruitment: Brooke.email@example.com