The International Institute of Buffalo seeks a capable, strategic leader to direct the financial operations of this dynamic nonprofit and its $3.7mm operating budget. The Director of Finance reports to the Institute Executive Director and will lead the day to day financial operations and financial strategy for the organization. Manages 4-5 staff.
The International Institute of Buffalo seeks to make Western New York a better place for, and because of, immigrants and refugees. We also support the success of human trafficking and domestic violence survivors and provide language access through written and spoken interpreting and translation. The Institute was founded in 1918. More information on the organization is at iibuffalo.org. The Institute’s 990 is available at Guidestar.
Institute funding is provided through government grants (all levels of government), private grants, earned income, and community fundraising.
Director of Finance Responsibilities:
- Directs organization’s financial operations, planning and strategy.
- Manages government and private grants, grant drawdown requests and grant reporting.
- Manages finances of transaction-intensive interpreting and translation service.
- Works with program directors to ensure maximum financial support and client impact.
- Works with program directors to prepare budgets for grant applications.
- Manages Institute Accounts Payable and Receivable.
- Analyzes and reports on Institute financial performance. Prepares monthly budget to actual reports and forecasts for executive director and Board.
- Attends monthly Board Finance Committee meetings.
- Ensures adherence to Institute accounting policies and procedures.
- Manages annual financial audit and grant audits by funders.
- Develops organization annual operating budget.
- Manages payroll function.
- Manages organization investments; assesses and minimizes risk.
- Trains and manages 4-5 Finance Department staff (two direct reports).
- Analyzes complex financial data; develops reports as needed for organization.
- Manages internal controls.
Finance Leader Requirements:
- At least 5 years’ experience in financial management/analysis required, preferably in a leadership role.
- Prior non-profit experience preferred.
- Experience with government grants preferred.
- At least 5 years’ experience with best practice accounting policies and procedures.
- Experience and proficiency in accounting software required; experience with QuickBooks a bonus.
- Strong analytical skills.
- Good communication skills; record of successful collaboration with others to address issues.
- BA in Accounting or Finance required; graduate work preferred.
- Experience managing people preferred.
- Ability to handle a wide variety of tasks and responsibilities.
- Requires sitting at a desk and using a computer for long periods of time. Climbing stairs also necessary.
Salary commensurate with experience; salary range $65-75,000 with benefits.
Interested applicants please send a resume and cover letter to Eva Hassett, Executive Director, International Institute of Buffalo, 864 Delaware Avenue, Buffalo NY 14209 or to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The International Institute is an equal opportunity employer.