HELLO (Home English Language Learner Outreach) Program
HELLO Tutor INTERN DESCRIPTION
INTERNSHIP TITLE: HELLO Tutor Intern
HOURS PER WEEK: Hours are flexible depending on tutor/client schedules. Most tutoring sessions around 2 hours. Total number of hours per week dependent on credit hours needed.
DURATION: Fall Semester or Academic Year
DESCRIPTION: HELLO program tutors are trained by a certified ESL teacher to gain basic knowledge for helping refugee clients improve their English-speaking skills. (No teaching experience required.) Tutors will meet one-on-one with clients either in person, virtually, or conduct hybrid sessions to carry out activities.
SUPERVISOR(S): HELLO Coordinator, Zahraa Al-Sharifi
- Attend a HELLO program orientation
- Meet clients and establish relationships
- Plan basic lessons for teaching English as a Second Language
- Share English Language Learning (ELL) resources with clients
- Computer and office skills
- Demonstrate skills with problem solving
- Must demonstrate quality communication skills such as speaking on the phone and writing
- Must demonstrate strong interpersonal communication and empathy
- Experience interacting with diverse cultures is appreciated, but not necessary.
- Send a resume, cover letter, and contact information for two references to email@example.com
- Meet with the Volunteer Coordinator
- Undergo a background check
- Provide proof of complete covid-19 vaccination, including booster shot