JOB TITLE: Housing Coordinator
PROGRAM: New American Integration
SUPERVISOR: New American Integration Coordinator
WORKING HOURS: Part time up to 20 hours per week. IIB is currently working a hybrid model. Hours will be split between remote work and work in the field, with some office hours. The schedule is flexible and can be discussed during the interview.
SALARY: Starting pay for the Housing Coordinator position is $17.50/hour.
Education: There are no education requirements for the position.
Experience: Experience with diverse cultures and/or refugee population is preferred, but not mandatory. Knowledge of the rental market in WNY is preferred.
- Good communication (oral and written), interpersonal and organizational skills, including time management
- Flexible schedule to accommodate the needs of the agency and our clients
- Ability to work cooperatively with clients, co-workers, management and the public
- Ability to work in a multi-cultural setting and communicate with a clients from a variety of ethnic and religious backgrounds and lifestyles
- Current valid driver’s license, insurance, and access to own transportation
- Ability to meet short timelines, under pressure
- Some knowledge of computers, e-mail, and Microsoft Office is preferred
The Housing Coordinator identifies and secures safe, affordable, and decent housing for newly arrived refugee families in Buffalo. The Housing Coordinator will build and maintain relationships with local landlords, work with case managers to pair housing with new arrivals, arrange utilities and furnishings, and coordinate moves with colleagues in the New American Integration Department.
LEVEL OF SUPERVISION:
Works under general supervision of the New American Integration Coordinator.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Works with New American Integration colleagues to assess pre-arrival housing needs
- Identifies and secures housing opportunities for refugee families that take into consideration family composition, affordability, and possible medical needs.
- Completes required forms and paperwork, including obtaining W9 forms from new landlords, processing rent and security deposit check requests, and correspondence with utility companies
- Ensures housing is safe and clean and necessary repairs are made prior to client move in
- Ensures housing is compliant with R&P Cooperative Agreement and IIB standards
- Works with R&P Case Managers and Donations Coordinator to secure furniture, household goods, and basic supplies
- Assists R&P Case Managers, interns, and volunteers with apartment or housing setups for new arrivals
- Builds and maintains positive relationships with local landlords and affordable housing providers
- Maintains a database of reliable landlords and current inventory of available rentals
- Assists colleagues with mediation of any issues between landlords and clients/tenants
- Attends appropriate housing-related public meetings for the organization
- Maintain accurate case files and documentation
- Link clients with housing services, such as HEAP, as appropriate
- Attend departmental and agency meetings as required
- Perform other duties as pertains to position
Interested candidates should send cover letter and resume to New American Integration Coordinator, Bob Doyle at firstname.lastname@example.org.
IIB is an Equal Opportunity Employer and not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, non-disqualifying physical or mental disability, national origin, veteran status or any other basis covered by appropriate law.