Human Resource Generalist
The International Institute of Buffalo (IIB) is a century-old nonprofit organization that provides direct social services to refugees, immigrants and survivors of domestic violence and human trafficking. IIB also operates a fee-for-service Interpreting & Translation program that is focused on increasing language access. IIB’s mission is to make Western New York a better place for, and because of, refugees and immigrants.
We are seeking a Human Resource Generalist to join our team and perform human resources (HR) related duties on a professional level.
The Human Resources Generalist will provide HR services to drive employee engagement, employee satisfaction and staff development, while ensuring actions and outcomes are aligned with the International Institute’s mission and values. IIB strives to employ a staff reflective of the populations that we serve and therefore, appreciates the lived experience as well as educational and professional experience that our team members brings to our work. IIB also strives to create a community and culture of support and inclusivity, through appropriate management, equitable pay and benefits for our employees.
This position carries out responsibilities in the following core functional areas: employee relations, labor relations, training & development, performance management, onboarding, recruitment, compliance, and human resources information system (HRIS). Working as a lead on HR-related operational components, this role will partner with programs to ensure their operational needs are met.
This position serves as a lead on some administrative operations, including:
Systems & Processes
- Partners with department directors to understand program operations; assess human resources needs, and provide solutions to aid in meeting program objectives and staff development
- Creates and implements processes and tracking systems for candidate recruitment, onboarding new hires, training of staff, periodic performance reviews and employee exits.
- Shepherds the performance review process across all program departments. Collaborates in performance evaluations for assigned employee classifications, and advises leaders on corrective measures to close performance and/or behavioral gaps
- Facilitates on-boarding (i.e. orientations, etc.) and off-boarding (i.e. exit interviews, separations, etc.), and organizes these internal processes in a structured way that is accessible for audits, reviews, etc.
- Ensures compliance with federal, state and city employment & labor laws and regulations
Employee Culture & Benefits
- Works in concert with leadership to foster an organizational culture that encourages equitable practices around pay, benefits, professional development opportunities
- Oversees Employee Handbook review and policy updates, and communicates with staff about changes.
- Participates in meetings and training to stay current on best practices in the HR industry, and supports managers by organizing topical trainings & professional development opportunities on best practices in management.
Other HR Functions
- Handles employee relations matters including investigating and documenting complaints, recommending corrective action, and responding to documentation requests for legal proceedings.
- Maintains human resource information system (HRIS) records, compiles and generates reports from database.
- Works with outside vendors that bring in additional service components as needed (i.e. Diversity/Equity trainings, executive recruiters, outside HR firms for specialized services, HRIS vendor, IT vendor, etc.)
- Contacts insurance providers to support Leave of Absence administration (FMLA, STD, COBRA, Worker’s Comp, etc.)
- Performs other duties as assigned
This is a full-time position that reports to the Executive Director. This position will work on-site at our Buffalo, NY location with some opportunities for remote work.
What We’re Looking For:
- Passionate about working for an organization that provides services to refugees, immigrants and trauma survivors
- Ability to function in a collaborative and collegial environment, with sensitivity to others, a high degree of integrity and excellent judgment
- Problem Solving/Analysis and Solution-Based mindset
- Project Management / Time Management skills
- Training and experience with Diversity, Equity & Inclusion work
- Verbal and Written Communication Proficiency
- Organization Skills
- Ethical Conduct
- Critical Thinking Skills
- Team / Relationship Building experience
Required Education and Experience
- Minimum Associate or Bachelors’ degree, and 3-5 years of human resources experience, or a Masters’ degree in human resource management or related field and two years human resource experience
- Over five years human resources work experience strongly preferred
- Management experience strongly preferred
- Experience with HRIS, Payroll, Timekeeping and Talent Management Information Systems desired.
- ADP experience preferred
- Minimum intermediate MS Office skills strongly preferred (Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Outlook)
- Ability to communicate with stakeholders of various levels
The International Institute of Buffalo provides highly competitive base compensation as well as a comprehensive benefits package, including, medical and dental insurance, paid time off and a 403(b) retirement plan.
IIB is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, non-disqualifying physical or mental disability, national origin, veteran status or any other basis covered by appropriate law.
HOW TO APPLY
We encourage expressions of interest as early as possible. For immediate consideration, please e-mail your cover letter and resume, along with salary requirements to firstname.lastname@example.org