INTERNATIONAL INSTITUTE OF BUFFALO, NY, INC.
JOB TITLE: Communications Leader
WORKING HOURS: Full time 40 hours per week. Primarily 8-4 or 9-5 with some flexibility based on organization needs.
JOB SUMMARY: The International Institute of Buffalo is seeking an experienced full-time communications leader to develop and execute the Institute’s strategic communications plan which includes but is not limited to: brand awareness, message development, media relations, strategic storytelling, and community/partner relations.
– Bachelor’s degree in communications, journalism, public relations, political science, public policy or related field.
– 5-7 years’ experience in a communications role, ideally in a non-profit or trade association setting.
– Knowledge of formulating and executing a long-term communications plan.
– Superior verbal and written communications skills for a variety of mediums.
– Excellent knowledge of social media platforms, social media paid promotion, digital marketing reporting tools, and analytics.
– Experience and comfort working with the media (broadcast, print, digital), other local human services nonprofits, government agencies and elected officials.
– A natural storyteller who is committed to authentically sharing the IIB’s mission, clients and initiatives while demonstrating its positive impact in the community and need for donor support.
– Self-motivated team player who is highly organized, and able to adapt within a fast-paced environment.
– Positive attitude with a drive to help the local refugee/immigrant population.
– Ability to prioritize effectively with strong attention to detail.
– Self-confident, exercises sound judgement and professionalism as a public-facing representative of the IIB.
– A lifelong learner who stays on top of industry trends and current events.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
– Work closely with executive director, board of directors and IIB department directors to strategize and effectively communicate IIB’s mission to target audiences, ensuring accurate and consistent representation of the IIB brand and mission.
– Develop a yearly communications plan involving both short and long-term objectives, measurable KPIs and set target dates of completion.
– Proactively cultivate and manage relationship with the media to utilize opportunities for earned media exposure, including news releases, media requests, press conferences, and social media content.
– Oversee social media community management and content creation, including developing content over a variety of platforms, managing a content calendar, daily monitoring of accounts and of breaking news developments.
– Manage website by continually creating new content and keeping the site up to date; coordinating with website design vendor to ensure the website reflects the latest branding and messaging guidelines.
– Support the organization’s internal communications efforts to increase employee awareness, understanding and engagement.
– Develop and execute branding initiatives to boost IIB’s identity within the Buffalo community, including a range of promotional materials, branding guidelines, and distribution of said marketing collateral.
– Assist in the organization of special events, including donor/volunteer appreciation events and other fundraiser initiatives. Duties for this may include, but are not limited to writing support materials, creation of event print materials, and event media relations.
– Leverage a contract graphic designer as needed for content creation.
– Compile reports demonstrating campaign or event success for presentation to IIB leadership and Board
· May perform services with individuals with communicable diseases or conditions
· Must be able to travel to sites using own personal vehicle.
· Occasional weekend and/or evening hours may be assigned as needed to meet the demands of our clients/program.
· May perform duties that include lifting up to 30lbs, carrying, bending, sitting, standing, or being outside in inclement weather for short periods of time.
· We require employees be fully vaccinated.
· Benefits include generous PTO, 11 paid holidays, 403(b), healthcare benefits and more.
Send resumes and cover letter to: email@example.com with “Communications Leader” in the header. Reference checks and writing samples will be required for final candidates under consideration for hire.
IIB is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, non-disqualifying physical or mental disability, national origin, veteran status or any other basis covered by appropriate law.