INTERNATIONAL INSTITUTE OF BUFFALO, NY, INC.
JOB TITLE: New Arrivals Specialist
PROGRAM: New American Integration
SUPERVISOR: R&P Program Manager
WORKING HOURS: Full time 40 hours per week in office (8:30-4:30 or 9-5), with some work completed in the field. Some flexibility is required for after-hours meetings with landlords if needed
Education: minimum High School Graduate or GED
Experience: Experience as an advocate, or customer service or administrative position is ideal but not required. Knowledge of the rental market in WNY is preferred.
· Good communication (oral and written) , interpersonal and organizational skills, including time management
· Flexible schedule to accommodate the needs of the agency and landlords
· Ability to work cooperatively with co-workers, management and the public
· Ability to work in a multi-cultural setting
· Current valid driver’s license, insurance, and access to own transportation
· Ability to work quickly, and meet short timelines under pressure
· Experience using excel and outlook
· Ability to multi task and use own judgement
· Comfortable advocating for clients and agency
· Ability to address changing scenarios in a responsive and urgent manner when required
· Ability to lift and carry 50 lbs occasionally
The New Arrivals Coordinator provides multi level support for case manager and new arrivals. They identify and secure safe, affordable, and decent housing for newly arrived refugee families in Buffalo as quickly as possible, ideally pre-arrival. The New Arrivals Coordinator will build and maintain relationships with local landlords, work
with case managers and pair housing with new arrivals or arrange temporary housing if necessary ( Air B&B, Hotel, etc).
The New Arrivals Coordinator also arranges for the set up and/or change in utilities, coordinates moves with movers and donations coordinator (and their volunteer teams) , and ensures that furniture and beds have been purchases or provided through donation. Works closely with donations coordinator. They also provide administrative support to the refugee program team
LEVEL OF SUPERVISION:
Works under general supervision of the R&P Program Manager.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
· Works with New American Integration colleagues to asses pre-arrival housing needs
· Identifies and secures housing opportunities for refugee families that take into consideration family composition, affordability, and possible medical needs.
· Completes required forms and paperwork, including obtaining W9 forms from new landlords, processing rent and security deposit check requests, obtaining apartment keys and handling correspondence with utility companies
· Ensures housing is compliant with R&P Cooperative Agreement and IIB standards and completes required USCRI forms and any follow up is complete prior to move in or within first 90 days if ongoing issues
· Purchases furniture and beds for home
· Arranges and coordinates moves and works with donations coordinator for home set up
· Assists R&P Case Managers, interns, and volunteers with apartment or housing set ups for new arrivals
· Builds and maintains positive relationships with local landlords and affordable housing providers
· Maintains a database of reliable landlords and current inventory of available rentals
· Assists colleagues and clients with mediation of any issues between landlords and clients/tenants
· Attends appropriate housing-related public meetings for the organization
· Maintain accurate documentation
· Works with NAI team to Link clients with housing services, such as HEAP, as appropriate
· Ensures utilities are turned on or in clients name as appropriate
· Acts on referrals from case managers to arrange temporary housing if required
· Assists with paperwork for new arrivals including completion of AR-11 forms, ensuring names are on mailboxes, etc.
· Attend departmental and agency meetings as required
· Perform other duties as pertains to administrative and support work related to new arrivals (can include: purchase of phones, groceries, assist with conducting community orientation, housing workshops, )
Interested candidates should send cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.
IIB is an Equal Opportunity Employer and not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, non-disqualifying physical or mental disability, national origin, veteran status or any other basis covered by appropriate law.